If you need the best mattress for your trundle bed, then look no further. We’ve looked at key considerations like size and comfort and narrowed it down.
The most common twin size mattress is 39 X 75 inches, and for the purpose of a trundle bed, we recommend a thickness of no more than 6 inches. This shallower “thickness” is key as it ensures it stows away easily and in some cases, allows a little extra storage space for blankets or pillows.
We have selected two superior twin sized designs and have done all the homework to ensure you pick from the best products available. Choosing between spring or foam construction does not need to leave you confused. Our selection is based on comfort, convenience and budget friendliness. Here’s all you need to know.
Top Rated Trundle Bed Mattresses
(Also check out the different types of Trundle Beds.)
1. Zinus Memory Foam for a Trundle Bed
Our first pick is the 6 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Trundle Mattress. Foam construction offers firmer support compared to a spring structure, but have the added benefit of conforming to the natural shape of your body. This comfy design is composed of 1 inch memory foam and 5 inches of high-density base support foam.
It is infused with Green Tea extract and Castor Seed Oil which naturally prevents odors and bacteria build up. Memory foam is generally more expensive, but in this case, the few extra dollars won’t break the bank, and you are ensured a quality product that will last many a house guest and sleep over.
To ensure they are compact, truckle designs have adequate slat and base panel support, so a box spring is not needed. The product is compressed and rolled into a box for convenient delivery. Once it arrives, it simply needs to be removed from its packaging within 72 hours and it will return to its original form within 2 days. The manufacturer also includes an impressive 10 year warranty with this product.
Is Foam Hot?
Foam has a reputation of being warmer. This is generally due to less breathability in lesser quality foam products. In the case of this design, its breathable foam allows adequate airflow. Should you sleep hot, a pad, or lighter sheets will help increase ventilation and make sleeping a lot cooler.
Does Memory Foam Lose its Shape?
Memory foam is named after its ability to re-form after a night of sleeping on it. The manufacturers recommend rotating it 180 degrees every 3 months or so to ensure some areas are not over compressed. Regardless, it will have many years of comfortable, squeak free sleep in it.
2. Zinus Spring Mattress
The Zinus 6 Inch Spring Mattress is our winning choice. Spring mattresses have more “spring” compared to a foam structure, but they still offer firm support needed for many great nights of rest. This specific structure is designed with 5 inches of heavy duty coil springs and topped with two foam layers, a half inch of comfort foam, and another half inch of high-density foam. All this at an excellent price that is hard to beat.
As with our first selection, a 6 inch thickness is ideal for roll-away beds and top bunks. On a trundle, a thinner mattress allows clearance between the top of the mattress and the base of the bed when stowed away. When used for a top bunk, it doesn’t create too much height, so guardrails are higher and provide more protection.
Like with the foam structure, the spring design is also compressed and rolled before shipping. It will return to its original shape in 48 hours after opening. Both types come with a 10 year warranty.
Spring structures have been the preferred choice over the years as they were more widely used and initially, they were more affordable. Today, it comes down to personal preference, as both are comfortable, quality products that differ only slightly in price.
Bed Buying and Care Tips
- For trundle, bunks or sofa-beds, you don’t need a box spring. Congratulation, you just saved around $100.
- If you order online, you don’t need to negotiate prices. You’re not paying for store rental so you get a competitive price.
- For the main sleeping area, you can opt for a slightly thicker option, as it gets more regular use, and you don’t need to worry about it not fitting.
- For a pop up trundle, get the same mattress thickness as the main sleeping area. If the truckle is flush with the base of the bed, you have the luxury of converting it into a King sized sleeping area for your guests.
- Air it out before making it up. As it comes wrapped in plastic, this helps to get rid of the packaging smell.
- Invest in a waterproof protector. This will prolong the life of your bed and guard it against spills and stains.
- Rotate it 180 degrees every few months to avoid wear in some areas.
- A good base prevents sagging. If you are placing your mattress on slats that are spaced too far apart, have a board cut and place it between the slat supports and the mattress.
- No jumping on the bed. It is designed to carry weight that is evenly distributed. Excessive pressure in one spot can result in damage.
- Clean your covers and sheets regularly to avoid dust mites or bed bugs, especially if you have pets.